Principal UI Software Engineer
Shift5 is the observability platform for onboard operational technology (OT). We’re a rapidly growing scale-up that specializes in cybersecurity, predictive maintenance, and compliance for operational technology (OT) systems across Defense, aerospace, and rail. We are a collaborative, passionate, and driven cadre of dynamic, multidisciplinary experts and we’re focused on helping our customer’s fleets run smarter and safer by accessing and democratizing the volumes of onboard OT data generated by transportation and freight fleets, and defense fleets and weapon systems. Come join us.
Shift5 is seeking a talented and experienced Principal UI Software Engineer to join our team. As a Principal UI Software Engineer, you will play a critical role in designing and developing the user interface for our cutting-edge observability and data analytics solutions. You will lead a team of UI engineers, drive the technical direction of our UI, and collaborate closely with cross-functional teams to deliver world-class software products for our defense and commercial customers.
- Technical Leadership: Provide technical leadership and mentorship to a team of UI engineers, ensuring best practices in UI development, coding standards, and design patterns
- UI Design: Collaborate with product managers, data engineers, and designers to translate product requirements and user stories into elegant, intuitive, and responsive user interfaces
- Architecture and Development: Lead the architectural design and development of complex user interfaces using modern web technologies such as React, Angular, or Vue.js.
- Code Quality: Maintain and enforce high-quality code standards, perform code reviews, and ensure codebase reliability.
- Cross-Functional Collaboration: Collaborate closely with product managers, backend engineers, data engineers, and QA teams to ensure successful delivery against customer requirements
- Innovation: Stay abreast of latest UI technologies and tools, and bring innovative solutions to enhance our products
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in computer science or a related field.
- Proven experience as a UI software engineer, with at least 5+ years in a staff or principal role.
- Proficiency in modern UI technologies such as React, Angular, or Vue.js.
- Strong understanding of web development best practices, including responsive design, performance optimization, and security.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Familiarity with version control systems (e.g., Git) and agile development methodologies.
- Strong communication and leadership skills.
- Experience with mapping technologies, such as Mapbox, to create geospatial visualizations and location-based features.
- US Citizenship
Compensation & Benefits:
- Competitive salary and stock options in a fast-growing startup
- Employer-paid medical, dental and vision coverage
- Health Savings Account with annual employer contributions
- 401k with employer contributions
- Life Insurance
- Uncapped paid time off policy
- Flexible work & remote work policy
- Tax-deferred public transit benefits with Metro SmartBenefits (DC/MD/VA)
We are committed to building an inclusive culture of belonging that embraces the diversity of our people and represents the communities in which we work and the customers we serve. We know the happiest and highest performing teams include people with diverse perspectives and ways of solving problems. We strive to attract and retain talent from all backgrounds and create workplaces where everyone feels empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work.
Shift5 is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability, age, marital status, ancestry, projected veteran status, or any other protected group or class.