IT Administrator, HQ
Shift5 is the observability platform for onboard operational technology (OT). We’re a rapidly growing scale-up that specializes in cybersecurity, predictive maintenance, and compliance for operational technology (OT) systems across Defense, aerospace, and rail. We are a collaborative, passionate, and driven cadre of dynamic, multidisciplinary experts and we’re focused on helping our customer’s fleets run smarter and safer by accessing and democratizing the volumes of onboard OT data generated by transportation and freight fleets, and defense fleets and weapon systems. Come join us.
Shift5 is currently seeking a versatile full-time IT Administrator to enhance our headquarters operations team. This role demands a breadth of knowledge and the flexibility to handle various IT tasks—from providing daily user support to administering our compact datacenter. The ideal candidate must be adept at navigating the complexities of IT systems, ensuring not only their efficiency and reliability but also their security. As an integral part of a nimble organization, this individual will be expected to wear multiple hats, seamlessly shifting from end-user troubleshooting to overseeing datacenter operations with competence and confidence.
The ideal candidate will be adept in managing a diverse range of IT responsibilities:
- Administer and manage day-to-day operations of various IT systems, ensuring the smooth functioning of our technical operations and maintaining system integrity across platforms.
- Implement and monitor internal control systems to safeguard organizational data and restrict unauthorized access.
- Oversee the installation, configuration, and maintenance of IT systems, adhering to strict security protocols and coordinating necessary system updates and patches.
- Collaborate effectively with the Chief Architect and other key personnel to ensure cohesive technology management and strategy alignment.
- U.S. citizenship with an active U.S. Government Top Secret clearance, along with a commitment to maintaining such clearance.
- Possession of or the ability to quickly obtain relevant IT certifications such as CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA), Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), etc.
- A proven 4+ year track record in IT, with experience in network security, hardware, software, and systems administration.
- Proficiency in managing Windows and Linux server environments, including deployment, administration, and troubleshooting.
- Familiarity with virtualization technologies like VMware, Hyper-V, or equivalent.
- Experience with cloud services administration, such as AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud.
- Knowledge of scripting languages for automation tasks, such as PowerShell, Bash, Python, or similar.
- Experience in implementing and maintaining IT security best practices and familiarity with cybersecurity frameworks.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and to adapt to changing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to document IT processes, create user guides, and maintain IT inventory and asset management.
- Excellent communication skills, with a proactive approach to identifying and addressing security, connectivity, and other technical issues.
- Strong organizational and troubleshooting skills, with the capability to address challenges swiftly and effectively.
- Prior experience in a startup or technology-focused environment is desirable.
- Willingness to be occasionally on-call or work outside of traditional hours when necessary, providing emergency support for critical systems, is required.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Competitive salary and stock options in a fast-growing startup
- Employer-paid medical, dental and vision coverage
- Health Savings Account with annual employer contributions
- 401k with employer contributions
- Life Insurance
- Uncapped paid time off policy
- Flexible work & remote work policy
- Tax-deferred public transit benefits with Metro SmartBenefits (DC/MD/VA)
We are committed to building an inclusive culture of belonging that embraces the diversity of our people and represents the communities in which we work and the customers we serve. We know the happiest and highest performing teams include people with diverse perspectives and ways of solving problems. We strive to attract and retain talent from all backgrounds and create workplaces where everyone feels empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work.
Shift5 is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability, age, marital status, ancestry, projected veteran status, or any other protected group or class.