Director of Product Management - Embedded Systems (Aviation)
Shift5 is the observability platform for onboard operational technology (OT). We’re a rapidly growing scale-up that specializes in cybersecurity, predictive maintenance, and compliance for operational technology (OT) systems across Defense, aerospace, and rail. We are a collaborative, passionate, and driven cadre of dynamic, multidisciplinary experts and we’re focused on helping our customer’s fleets run smarter and safer by accessing and democratizing the volumes of onboard OT data generated by transportation and freight fleets, and defense fleets and weapon systems. Come join us.
As the Director of Product Management – Embedded Systems (Aviation) you will be responsible for managing the execution and evolution of onboard hardware/software products spanning both Commercial and Military verticals. New function/feature requirement definition aligning to voice of the customer, market segmentation, value proposition definition and navigation of competitive products. This role reports to Sr. Director of Product & Partnerships.
In this role you will be expected to:
- Manage the new function/feature requirement definition aligning to voice of the customer, market segmentation, value proposition definition and navigation of competitive products.
- Serve as the central authority on the design, manufacturing, test, quality, and marketing of Shift5’s onboard hardware & software. You will also play a key role in helping to identify and develop new products that address anticipated future customer needs.
- Collaborate with business leadership, product marketing, engineering, and manufacturing operations. This technical role bridges the gap between what our customers need and what can be built, serving as an advocate with internal engineering teams, external vendors and customers.
- Operate as both an individual contributor and a product management leader
- Travel as required (up to 40%)
- 7+ years of experience in product management, specifically hardware / embedded systems development
- 5+ years of overall experience in the aviation industry (across Product Management, Marketing, R&D/Engineering and/or operations), with a track record of demonstrated, recognizable results
- Well versed with hardware and software certification processes – especially within commercial/civil aviation (e.g., FAA STC and derivative requirements for production parts manufacturing of certified hardware)
- Experience with onboard connectivity systems (SATCOM, air-to-ground links, 4G/5G LTE data links)
- US Citizenship
- Be able to obtain or hold a US Government Security Clearance
- BA/BS in Electrical Engineering/Computer Science/Aerospace Engineering/Mechanical Engineering/Embedded Systems, or a related technical field or equivalent practical experience
- Experience in airline operations for integration of new hardware systems onto legacy aircraft
- Experience in security logging data used on aircraft and ground support equipment for airlines
- Experience with Predictive Maintenance, HUMS, or other on vehicle data collection platforms
- Cybersecurity experience is a plus, but not required
- MBA and/or product management certification(s) preferred
Compensation & Benefits:
- Competitive salary and stock options in a fast-growing startup
- Employer-paid medical, dental and vision coverage
- Health Savings Account with annual employer contributions
- 401k with employer contributions
- Life Insurance
- Uncapped paid time off policy
- Flexible work & remote work policy
- Tax-deferred public transit benefits with Metro SmartBenefits (DC/MD/VA)
We are committed to building an inclusive culture of belonging that embraces the diversity of our people and represents the communities in which we work and the customers we serve. We know the happiest and highest performing teams include people with diverse perspectives and ways of solving problems. We strive to attract and retain talent from all backgrounds and create workplaces where everyone feels empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work.
Shift5 is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability, age, marital status, ancestry, projected veteran status, or any other protected group or class.