Robotics Software Systems Engineer
Mountain View, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, October 7, 2023
Anduril Industries is a defense technology company with a mission to transform U.S. and allied military capabilities with advanced technology. By bringing the expertise, technology, and business model of the 21st century’s most innovative companies to the defense industry, Anduril is changing how military systems are designed, built and sold. Anduril’s family of systems is powered by Lattice OS, an AI-powered operating system that turns thousands of data streams into a realtime, 3D command and control center. As the world enters an era of strategic competition, Anduril is committed to bringing cutting-edge autonomy, AI, computer vision, sensor fusion, and networking technology to the military in months, not years.
WHY WE’RE HERE:
Anduril’s Vehicle Autonomy team is seeking a Software Systems Engineer to join our team. The Vehicle Autonomy team at Anduril develops aerial and ground-based robotic systems. The team is responsible for taking products like Ghost, Anvil, and our Sentry Tower from paper sketches to operational systems. We work in close coordination with specialist teams like Perception, Controls, Firmware, Hardware and Manufacturing to solve some of the hardest problems facing our customers. We are looking for software engineers, roboticists, and front-end and mobile developers who are excited about creating a powerful robotics platform that can be tasked and viewed in real-time through a variety of interfaces.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Define Systems Engineering vision for the Robotics Organization to drive requirements and verification for core Anduril Products like Ghost, Anvil, Tower, GA and Group (1-5) aircraft.
- Work directly with the Business Lines to understand product requirements and deliverables.
- Collaborate and lead requirements decomposition with the Robotics teams.
- Autonomously execute on broad and/or ambiguous requirements from internal engineering, program office, and third party corporate partners to own successful delivery of outcomes on multiple programs simultaneously.
- Coordinate and execute frequent test events involving various levels of software and hardware, from full-software simulations at Anduril HQ to full hardware-in-the-loop demonstrations at test sites.
- Define a strategy to comply with appropriate Industry standards like DO 178C, MIL-STD-882 E, and NATO UAV.
- Demonstrate high ownership on all pieces of work; become a trusted partner to Anduril’s robotics engineers.
- Define systems engineering requirements from product requirements.
- Work directly with robotics engineers to define SW requirements from the systems requirements.
- Ensure that the organization’s technical roadmap is well understood and that programs and staffing are aligned with the roadmap.
- Manage, unblock, and accelerate cross-team projects spanning multiple functional teams and cross-functional initiatives.
- Identify and resolve systemic execution issues across the team or group that require broader initiatives to resolve.
- Partner with product leads to scope, staff, and deliver capabilities to achieve company milestones.
- Identify, resolve, and escalate key cross team dependencies.
- Support leads with quarterly and ongoing staffing plans across the organization, particularly where difficult prioritization conflicts exist.
- Collaborate closely with other partner teams, such as hardware, product, and test operations as needed.
- Understand technical implementation at the architectural level and propose technical alternatives when necessary; ask questions that clarify priorities.
- Degree in Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, Robotics, or a related field
- Experience in safety critical industry, particularly with safety-critical software development standards, software safety fault/hazard analysis, and requirements-driven software verification and validation strategies
- Demonstrated proficiency in the application of engineering standards into engineering processes or requirements
- Experience writing testable system-level and software-level requirements
- Experience working with requirements management tools like JAMA, Polarion, etc
- Experience assessing software design and performing code reviews
- Comfortable working with ambiguity, evolving priorities, and challenging problems
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Familiarity with modern software development practices and designs, unit testing, integration test, and release processes
- Experience in building programs for software deliverables from ground up
- Ability to work within organizations with minimal structure and with minimal direction
- Experience is rolling out potentially disruptive organizational process changes
- Experience with creating communication plans for various levels of stakeholders
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong technical, analytical and quantitative skills with the ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations and drive decisions
- Experience with tools like JIRA and Confluence
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or an Engineering discipline
For Full Time Employment Opportunities: The salary range for this role is an estimate based on a wide range of compensation factors, inclusive of base salary only. Actual salary offer may vary based on (but not limited to) work experience, education and/or training, critical skills, and/or business considerations. Highly competitive equity grants are included in all offers and are considered part of Anduril’s total compensation package. Additionally, Anduril offers top-tier benefits, including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans, employee life and disability, mental health and family planning benefits with all premiums paid by Anduril. Anduril provides fully paid medical leave, paid company holidays, and paid time off. A professional development stipend is available to all Andurilians and all on-site meals are fully subsidized during the work week through use of our gourmet kitchens. The recruiter assigned to this role can share more information about the specific compensation and benefit details associated with this role during the hiring process.
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. The Anduril team is made up of incredibly talented and unique individuals, who together are disrupting industry norms by creating new paths towards the future of defense technology. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, Veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the CA Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We actively encourage members of recognized minorities, women, Veterans, and those with disabilities to apply, and we work to create a welcoming and supportive environment for all applicants throughout the interview process. If you are someone passionate about working on problems that have a real-world impact, we’d love to hear from you!